Preparing for the airline interview.
An airline interview is one of the most important things an pilot must prepare for. The quality airlines have very high standards when hiring new pilots. There are pilot interviews with questions, flight assessment, role-play games and many more. In order to prepare for the pilot interview questions I have gathered some questions form and actual airline based in the far east. Hope this post helps to sync your clock with the requirements and to prepare for the interview. Also it helps you to increase your aviation knowledge base. Have fun, some of the questions require a lot of thinking and knowledge. This part I of the questions I’ve gathered (almost 200), soon I will post the other because I didn’t have enough space in one post 🙂
1. Background, professional career. You will likely be asked to talk about your career in brief (focus on airline career not full aviation career).
2. Do you have any Far East Experience?
3. What are your weak/strong points?
4. What are your hobbies?
5. What is your marital status?
6. Are you looking at other job opportunities?
7. Why do you want to join Korean Air?
8. When can you start?
9. How many routes does our airline operate on [the aircraft you are flying on]?
10. What color are taxi way markings?
11. Describe the go around procedure.
12. Describe the rejected takeoff procedure.
13. Have you ever met any communication problems flying with an Asian Captain (from a pilot who was flying in Asia already).? If yes, what was your reaction? How did you manage?
14. Cold weather operations.
15. What does RVSM mean and why do we have it?
16. You‘re flying into an RVSM area following preceding traffic that is flying 1000 feet above your present level a couple of miles ahead, you‘re flying into its wake turbulence, what would you do to avoid the wake turbulence?
17. Explain windshear – how to recognize and deal with windshear during different phases of flight (i.e. during T/O roll, what would you do if you encounter windshear while taking off, at V1, but you cannot reach Vr?
18. Explain the 3 parameters and the exact condition you will see before entering in windshear (GPWS does not work).
19. RNP and what it means. What are the limits and why does it exist? What is the RNP standard for a GPS approach?
20. How do you know the end of the runway is arriving (i.e: runway lighting/markings)?
21. Runway & Taxiway markings/lighting (how do you know you are on a taxiway and not a runway; how would you know you are clear of the runway after landing CAT III and/or reduced visibility?)
22. How do you know that you are on the correct runway for takeoff if you cannot see outside the cockpit?
23. What do you do when the Captain is unstable below 500ft?
24. What do you do when you bounce a landing?
25. When do you transition from the flight directors to the runway?
26. Cat I, II, III minimums in RVR meters.
27. What are the CATIIIA limitations?
28. What is the stabilized approach criteria?
29. What do you do if you get an RA saying descend and ATC is telling you to climb?
30. Describe an engine failure on take off without a standard engine out procedure.
31. Describe the crosswind landing technique.
32. Describe what to do if, after such landing, due to slippery runway, the aircraft starts skidding.
33. Describe RNP operations.
34. Difference between QFE, QNH, QNE (eg: many airports in Asia only provide QFE, how do you obtain QNH; what would the error be if you were flying into QFE airport, with QNH set).
35. Explain RVSM (use; altimeter checks prior to departure & during flight in RVSM airspace.)
36. Describe windshear procedures.
37. If on approach on a clear CAVOK day and a predictive wind shear warning occurs, what would you do?
38. The wind on final approach changes from 10 knots headwind, to 10 knots tailwind, what does it mean, what happens, and what do you do?
39. Stable approach concepts. What do you do if your Captain/FO deviates from the approach under 500ft?
41. Windshear questions, specifically encounters on takeoff roll.
42. Windshear precautions for takeoff (max thrust, increased rotation)
43. Atlantic MNPSA definition and meaning
44. On an ILS approach and below 500 ft a GPWS warning occurred and you notice you are only slightly below the GP, what would you do?
45. How can you manage a 3 degree glide path
46. Describe AH (alert height).
47. What is the difference between fail operational and fail passive?
48. How do you anticipate dealing with the increased work density on the roster?
49. Anti-Ice/de-ice, how long and after when do you start counting time for the protection for fluid Types 1-2?
50. Contaminated runway operations
51. NPA in cold weather, (i.e. temperature corrections)
52. NDB approach and more than 5 degrees off over the beacon, (i.e. go around)
53. Describe TEM (threat error management) – how do you manage it?
54. Describe PRM approaches and break out procedures.
55. Describe the various GPWS modes.
56. What is your airlines policy on the use of reverse thrust upon landing, when do you cancel it?
57. What flap setting is standard for landing in your airline, and what is the main difference between flap 25 and flap 30 landings?
58. Runway & Taxiway lighting/markings. Are you very familiar with the use of the FMC? Explain the FMC annunciations during takeoff.
59. Cabin pressurization control
60. Procedures for door upper deck flight lock
61. Describe the engine out procedures of your airline if there isnt a published one in the FOM
62. What corrections do you do when in very cold weather (ie altitude corrections).
63. Can LNAV be used with QFE?
64. Problems associated with the use of QFE
65. How would you operate the aircraft in turbulence?
66. How would you get on with an ex military FO?
67. What is the difference between THR and THR/REF, as displayed on the FMA?
68. Imagine that you have a fire in the aft cargo compartment; can you tell us the action you would take?
69. Explain the circle to land procedure, what are the differences with a visual approach in circuit? (from downwind).
70. VDP Definition, Computation with DME and Time. How do you compute your own VDP?
71. You are behind a 747. What type of wind would you prefer?
72. B747 touches down at 1200ft in the TDZ where do you want to touch down?
73. Descent planning and computation of Ground Speed. (Look for STARS, SIDS @ IAH).
74. Approach plates questions, especially on non-precision.
75. Definition of Accelerate stop distance
76. Definition of Adequate visual reference
77. Definition of ADIZ
78. Definition of Transition Altitude and Level
79. Definition of Area Navigation
80. Definition of DH/MDA
81. Definition of Feeder route
82. Definition of Feeder Fix
83. Definition of FAF
84. Definition of FAP
85. Definition of Grid MORA
86. Definition of MORA
87. Definition of Minimum IFR altitudes
88. Definition of MOCA
89. Definition of MORA
90. Definition of MCA
91. Definition of MEA
92. Definition of MRA
93. Definition of MVA
94. Definition of MSA
95. Definition of Route MORA
96. Definition of Runway Edge
97. Definition of TCH
98. Definition of TDZE
99. Definition of Ground, Prevailing, RVV, RVR
These are half of the questions I’ve gathered. I will check out some more and post them as part II of this post. Have fun and enjoy your learning. Fly smart and safe, a good airman always does .
Pilot Interview Questions
Here are some questions I found, I don’t remember where, the PDF file was on my computer. The questions are taken from an actual interview for airline pilots and answering them can improve our airmanship skills. Hope you find them useful and feel free to post answers as comments. I will try to get some more interview questions ASAP. Preparing for an interview is very important when applying for new job and is not considered cheating at all 🙂 Have fun and enjoy 🙂
Standard HR Questions:
- Tell me something about yourself that we cannot decipher from your resume or application?
- What is one accomplishment that you are very proud of?
- Why should we hire you here at XYZ airlines?
- Why shouldn’t we hire you?
- Why did you choose XYZ?
- Have you applied to any other companies?
- What, in your opinion, makes a professional pilot?
- What is one quality/personality trait, given the chance, you would change about yourself?
- How would you describe yourself in one word?
- Tell me about the toughest crew you had to deal with?
- Tell me about a time you went outside company policy?
- When was the last time you had an FAA/JAA/CAA inspector on board and how did it go?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a stressful flight?
- Tell me a time when you witnessed a crewmember do something unsafe?
- Tell us about a time you had to use your leadership skills to resolve a problem?
- Have you ever failed a check ride, and if so tell me about it?
Jepp Charts are used industry wide and it is strongly encouraged to study the charts in grave detail prior to an interview.
- Know how to Brief an Approach or finger fly an approach
- Be able to answer what any symbol is on a low altitude chart, approach plate, SID/STAR
What airplane are you most familiar with?
- What is the max Takeoff weight, Landing weight, and Ramp weight?
- What is the fuel capacity?
- Can you explain to me how the landing gear system works? (if applicable)
- Can you describe the pressurization system? (if applicable)
What is blue line?
What is V1? What is V2?
What is the difference between stating minimum fuel and declaring and emergency?
What is a balanced field?
What are the alcohol consumption regulations?
What is the IFR fuel requirement?
At what FL does RSVM begin and what are the requirements to operate within?
Be able to talk through a departure or Arrival procedure, what to do in case of lost communications, final altitude, and flight path.
Conflict Resolution Questions:
The proverbial drunken captain question, may be asked in various forms and also be ready to roll play the scenario.
- What would you do if during the van ride to the airport your captain smelled like alcohol?
- What would you do if you ran into your captain drinking within less than the regulatory 8 hours bottle to throttle?
What would you do/say if your captain (flying pilot) was 5 knots slow on Final Approach? Again this may be role played.